Date:
Wed, 16 May 2018 17:36:29 -0400
Here is a discussion of two day old cells

> South of Mexico City, the great honey-producing company of Miel Carlota has evolved its own techniques for economical beekeeping. Since the flow is so short and the bees continue to build up after it is over, they routinely cut back the number of colonies from 22,000 to 16,000, and requeen at that time with two-day-old queen cells. Alberto Wuggetzer said acceptance of the cells is no problem and the break in brood cycle of’ about 25 days causes the population to drop substantially during much of the year when the nectar doesn’t flow. Sugar and labor are saved with this procedure and just before the honey flow, colony numbers are again increased to 22,000 for buildup.

Also mentioned is "nucing" (I spell it nuking)

> "Nucing" is a technique which many commercial outfits take advantage of and should be of interest to all beekeepers. The ability to make two or three nucs out of one full colony, which will give a like number of full-producing colonies in a single season cannot be reproduced in other types of animal husbandry. Try dividing a cow or chicken like that and see what happens! Richard Adee uses nucs, which he makes up in the South from colonies he winters there. However, he doesn’t winter all his operation in the South, and thus has nucs and overwintered colonies which give more flexibility to his operation.

from:
https://beekeep.info/nectar-on-my-boots-articles/apimondia-management-symposium-1977/

Notes:
Sounds to me like 2 day cells are used as a cheap short cut at a time of year when the hives are winding down. In the spring you don't want bees to be without a queen for more than a day or two, hence the use of a hatching queen cell. Also, they can be examined to be sure they are going to hatch, unlike your 2 day cell. Sounds to me like a waste of time

Nuking is described in a colorful way. "Try dividing a cow or chicken like that and see what happens!" A lot of people don't realize that this is the real reason why beekeeping hasn't disappeared of the globes. Repopulating the hives is not that complicated, if you know what you are doing. If you don't, well... good luck.

Pete B