From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2017 17:59:33 -0800

> >Pondering Randys suggestiong of the 1 1/2 rim,  and wondering if it has
> to be accesable?

That's exactly why I've been pondering the question.  There's data from a
study that indicates that better mite control is obtained with deeper rims
(up to the tallest size tested).  But if sublimation of the thymol is not
the way that it disperses, then why the heck would the depth matter?
Perhaps it is simple necessity.

>does the grinding (blender) and mixing with poly  effect the evaporation,
either by lowering the vapor point,  or hugely increasing the surface are
exposed??

It wouldn't affect the vapor pressure, and only affect the amount of
surface area exposed slightly in a jar lid.  I suspect (need to test) that
the grinding would allow better mechanical distribution as bees carried
tiny crystals.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA