From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2010 21:57:01 -0000
>I was OK with setting an agenda and running a meeting, and I have
> a fairly thick skin, but I was definitely not ready for the expectation
> that the
> 'president' is a beekeeping expert.

Hi Dan

Well, I am not the President of our association - just the humble newsletter
editor - but I too am regarded as the local beekeeping 'expert' by many.  In
my case, I had no desire for fame - just a natural curiosity and a
scientific inclination that led me to read everything I could lay my hands
on.  This then led inevitably to working through the British Beekeepers'
Association Examination system (just to prove to myself that I knew what I
was doing) and to qualifications which branded me a 'Master Beekeeper'.  It
is a hard label to live up to.  After 30 years I now have more doubts than
certainties and probably feel less qualified to advise than I did 20 years
ago.

I guess that this is what happens to us all as we get older.  Others see our
experience as proof of great knowledge and ability, whereas we constantly
doubt ourselves.  When I retired from the day job I was presented with,
amongst other things, a paperweight representing an owl - with a card
proclaiming that the 'wise old owl' would be sorely missed.  I was genuinely
surprised by my colleagues view of my abilities and knowledge as I certainly
regarded myself as one who was still learning the trade.

Best wishes

Peter