From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:48:46 -0500
>Should we have paid more attention to the dramatic climatic conditions that
exist between Hawaii and western Maryland?

I think its a trial & error situation with today's queen producers. We
install queens in March after hives return from Almonds. Cold dramatic
climatic conditions are the norm.

A decade ago we were not pleased with Kona queens but all we could get. The
last five years we have been pleased with our Kona queens of both lines. Not
sure what happened but the product has gotten better!

The Kona carniolans are selected in Ohio for wintering ability. In my
opinion both lines do well in the cold northern section of the U.S..

I was with Sue Cobey at a meeting last week and I believe she said she sends
NWC breeder queens to Kona each year from her program. Those might be best
for your area and she selects for hygienic behavior and varroa tolerance in
her stock.

I think (not for sure) the Italian line comes from the old Powers Apiaries
line   (Kona queen was owned by Powers Apiaries  before Gus Rouse bought the
business)  which is a high honey producing line. The line has been around
for years like the Homer Park line ( now Wooten's Golden Queens).

Both the above Italian lines are famous for prolific queens which produce
bees & honey!

As to wintering Italians I refer beekeepers to the publication & video by
Marla Spivak " Wintering in Northern climates" which deals with the
wintering of Italians.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri