From:
joe carson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2008 18:15:08 -0800
Hello Jim,

I have three Conex's or refer trailers which I use for bees.  I also have two buses.  The refers work well in the summer but the buses get to hot in the winter with all the radient heat through the glass windows causing the bees to eat too much of their winter stores.  The refers work well for wintering.  I like to keep mine at 40 degrees as best I can in the winter.  In Central Europe they have trailers which are permanent bee hive carriers which are very good protection for the bees.  They pull the trailers to location and work the hives from inside.  Hives are lined up inside, mounted to the interior floor on both sides of the trailer.  This can be costly when your operation in large.  You can actually get two hives on top of each other per side.  You must keep on top of the apiary to prevent overcrowding but it is very do-able and I know hives that produce many hundreds of pounds of honey per yearin good locations.

Joe Carson
Alaska