From:
Phil Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 18:13:33 +0100

> To my friends in the UK I still say the same as I did several years ago on
> the IBL list. The methods you use to control AFb are the same as we used
in
> the U.S. years ago unsuccessfully. American beekeeping almost went under
> before WW 2 with only a burn policy.

Reply:
AFB is still a comparatively rare problem in the UK, we don't yet know if
there is a new strain of AFB which is more virulent but for sure any blanket
treatment with anti biotic would just mask the problem and would do nothing
to build resistance in the honey bee population.

The burn only policy has worked well for many years I can't see the UK Gov
changing policy now, which is obviously the correct decision.
Regards Phil Moore