From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:54:22 +1000
On 10/09/2014 12:02 AM, charles Linder wrote:
> Why do you think it was small hive  beetle that killed them, as opposed
> to some problem before the beetle took over?
>

> Snip
>
> Seen many in different stages this year.  Finally understanding what I am
> actually seeing. If you loose a hive look close at the brood nest area.

I am very familiar with the beetle and the damage that it can do. All
hives/nucs hereabouts carry adults.  Although some beekeepers here
maintain that the beetles are knocking over 'good' hives, I and some
mates believe it is only hives that have a problem that succumb.

The normal problems such as drone layers, or a hive that becomes
hopelessly queenless.  A proportion of hives that replace their queens,
particularly during swarming, do not get a queen away.  In this case
beetles can take over almost instantly.  There are always eggs being
laid and normally removed by the bees.  As soon as this house cleaning
goes off the boil the eggs hatch almost immediately, and the hive is
doomed in a few days.

Geoff Manning