From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 6 Jul 1996 10:21:35 -0600
>  It works better if
> the attendents are removed first.  It works better if there is no
> other queen in the colony and no queen cells either.  I suggest that
> if the queen has not yet been released then either:
>         1.  There is a queen somewhere in the colony.
>         2.  There are queen cells somewhere in the colony.
>         3.  The candy is too hard for the bees to remove.
>
> Sometime you can set the queen cage on the to bars are watch the
> reaction of the bees to this new queen.  If they are particularly
> aggressive then it is likely they feel no need for a new queen.  If,
> however, they start feeding her you could likely release her
> immediately.

Good points.

Whether there is a flow on (or a full feeder on the hive) will have
a large bearing too.  Bees remove the candy very quickly if they are
hungry, more slowly if they are well fed and plugged up with honey
and nectar.

Queens are much better accepted if the bees are well fed -- but the
candy is taken more slowly.
Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>