From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2017 07:25:20 -0400

Randy wrote:
>I'd never thought of it before you mentioned it Donald, but if memory
>serves, that's what I also see in my stored equipment.  Funny how something
>can be looking you straight in the face, but you don't notice it until
>someone points it out!

I was getting ready to reply to Donald's comment, Randy, when I saw you already had.  My thoughts exactly.  And it is STILL staring me in the face, because the stack they chose was three deeps high with an empty medium super on top.  Right next to it was another "stack" but only a deep and a super on a bottom board with a cover (it had been a stack several supers high, but I used them on the other hives for the flow).  Nuttin.

SO, starting today I'm changing up how I stack my boxes and will be leaving fewer, but taller, stacks.  I have a lot of leftover deeps in the barn, since I cut back from 3 deeps to 2, as well as assorted covers, bottom boards, etc., so may drag a few of those out to make a few more tall stacks.  Will see what happens and report back.  Free bees are good bees.  Thanks, Donald, for the observation and thanks to everyone, who responded.  It's good to know this is not a unique occurrence and that, maybe, I can increase my chances of hiving more swarms from my farmer's porch.

Bill
Claremont, NH USA