From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 20:55:48 -0800
Very interesting.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had, nor known, any "mentor" that deliberately gave false information.  Maybe I've hung out with more reputable beekeepers.  Maybe I've been fortunate to be well-read to have other opinions to balance the new information.

I've known some beekeepers that thought they knew more than anyone else and mistakenly, out of ignorance and obstinacy that will not let them say, "I don't know," share a host of bad ideas.  And what's a bad idea?  Something that I wouldn't do?

But to deliberately steer someone in the wrong direction, no.  I"ve not met them.  It's difficult to image why someone would do this.

It may be like what I encountered while participating with the Delaware Master Gardeners.  Everyone had an opinion, most of the opinions held very passionately and defensively.  Everyone had specialized interests and dealt with different soils that meant different treatments.  We were all very different, but we all wanted others to succeed, especially if they did things our way!

Heaven knows there's more than one way to keep bees.  Just because I'm right, doesn't make you wrong, but those who THINK they know it all sure irritate those who KNOW they do.

Grant
Jackson, MO