From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2010 20:08:59 -0300
Hi All

My internet conection is not working properly and my notebook kaput,
therefore I do not have at hand all the information to give a complete and
informed answer.

However I will start an answer by memory and latter if there are more
questions I could give a better try.

Quinoa is a pseudocereal originary of the Incas' Andes. it is grown at
Bolivia, Peru and Chile.

The skin of the grain have many antinutrients (including saponin) therefore
it must be peel(ed) before grainding it (making flour). The traditional
method used by most bolivian and peruvian producer is by the use of some
sort of baking soda to peel it. This is not a good method since after
humidifing it to peel, they have to heat it to dry and some of the nutrients
are lost in the process.

The method used by only two producer at Chile, is to peel it by mechanical
means, therefore no nutrients are lost, only the skin with it antinutrients.
"Ingrid von Baer" <[log in to unmask]> is the producer from where I buy. You
should ask her for bulk prices.

Said that, I once studied the flour composition comparing it first to
DeGroot aminoacids requirements. It maches perfectly as far as I remember.
Then the lipids profile based on the information produced by Rob Manning and
conversations with Randy is also ideal.

The total protein content is not that good, less than 15%, but I believe it
is the distribution of aminoacids rather than the total protein content what
is more important. At the end if they need more thay can consume more.

It lack cholesterol as most cereals.

I use quinoa flour at early spring. When pine trees are blooming and the
colonies start gathering that pollen I place open feeders so the bees will
choose to gather quinoa instead of pine pollen. Pine pollen is not a good
pollen and for sure quinoa flour is better than pine pollen.

In 2007 I sponsored a vet thesis where we tested quinoa in different forms.
The thesis is in spanish but can be made available thorugh Fernanda Olivos <

--
Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.