From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 22:27:11 +0900
Steve Newcomb asked how to use propolis:

>My question is: what is the proper method of cleaning the propolis.  Most
>of mine was scraped from the tops of the frames, but there is some wax and
>bee parts in it.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Propolis collected by scraping from frames is not marketable (in my
experience, anyway) because of the wax and wood etc. contamination.
Propolis mats enable propolis to be collected in an almost pure condition
and I do not know whether it would be safe to consume propolis scraped from
hives.  In any case I would not consume propolis daily as it is not a food
supplement but a natural antibiotic.

I understand from an Eastern European immigrant to Australia that she was
able to buy propolis in her own country which was then dissolved in pure
alcohol and a few drops taken as a treatment for sore throats.  You may wish
to experiment with this (I also understand that propolis has an extremely
unpleasant taste taken straight.)

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
J.H. & E. McAdam<[log in to unmask]
http://kigateway.kin.on.net/hogbay/hogbay1.htm

Why not visit the South Australian Superb Websites Ring?
http://kw.mtx.net/sawebring/sawebring.html