From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 21:37:57 -0600
Advice sought!

I am getting rather confused, having regard to the events in the global honey market during the last 3 or so years.

Beekeepers are being advised / pressurized via. different food standard agencies to improved production methods and
hygiene. Some of the programs directly involving apicultural associations and representative bodies.

This is apparently taking place due to public pressure, awareness, education and want of information.

It is resulting in new equipment being deployed, new or upgrading in buildings and structures. Changes in disease
treatment techniques.

Final product once delivered to packers and Co-operatives etc. is then analyzed for residues, HMF levels, humidity,
evidence of poor handling amongst a multitude of other tests.

A cheque(s) is then finally received as payment for all the effort and dedication. One that will be expected to allow a
business to prosper, advance in a manner that the controlling authorities require and support members of a family group.

My confusion arises with the following:

I am under the impression that the value of my cheque is based upon the price per unit of a final product - one that
undercuts all or many the above requirements (that I am being obliged to make).

This appears to be resulting in me having to work with first world costs, with first world staff in first world
conditions to receive third world reward.

The reward level fixed as many prefer to buy third world products at third world prices. Products that first world
authorities are constantly having to develop techniques to show up adulterations and underhand practices.

Such practices being presumably one of the major reasons for predominant product pricing.

When such practices are shown to be present, global prices are corrected, appear to rise to a level that allows for
proper business prosperity in a first world environment. During such a period, the opinion is often held that suggests
"we are doing better than we deserve".

Would in not be better to start operating in the same manner as third world countries?

  - dilute, add, filter out evidence, ship judiciously and label in such a manner that the final eating public are not
really aware of what is happening - even though they think they are.

Whatever is thought of my honey, it could be cleaned up and shipped out to Europe. A market at present lost due to it
containing GM pollen bits.

Maybe even, adding a fair percentage of syrup type stuff and developing a market in China. As long as the price is good,
the packers don't seem to mind. Reverse present day trends.

So, my question is:

Instead of pushing for top production conditions and final product quality, would it not better to leave that to the
hobbyist and niche market?
Those concerned with commercial honey production should maybe pushing National representatives to lobby controlling
authorities to totally relax not tighten regulations.
IMHO, business prosper, cash come in, costs cut, profit rise and the final customer be none the wiser.

OR,

Clean up the market and have genuinely sold what we are forever being told to do.

Peter