From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:41:27 -0500
> Who wants to stop it? In case anyone is assuming I do, I never said I did. I am quite detached. ...  Anyhow, if you are addressing me

Well, I wasn't addressing you. I believe you when you say you are detached. I am detached as well. I have tried to show that the Rogers presentation was not the only basis for decision here, but was the latest in a long series of trials. Presumably most of the 70 countries that intend to approve it have combed the data and made decisions to the best of their ability.

I do not promote pesticide use. If people wish not to use it, or can get by without it, I wish them well and salute their success. I don't believe that we can forgo pesticides generally, at this time. Therefore, what pesticides come on the market should be safer and more effective than the ones they replace. That is my fervent hope, it is the core of IPM, it is the stated goal of the government agencies, and the manufacturers themselves.

Any one of these factions could be ill informed, flat out wrong, or lying. Speaking for myself alone, I value free discourse, free flow of information, integrity, the willingness to listen, the ability to admit error, and the  humility to completely change one's opinions and values if needed in an actual situation. Ideals are fine to have, but reality forces us to make decisions with limited information. Every single one of us has been wrong and will be wrong again. I don't get paralyzed by that prospect.

Peter Loring Borst