From:
Brian Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 2010 13:53:48 -0500
Bob have you or Purvis or anyone done a simple nitrogen Hygienic test on these Aussie bees?  If so where are the results?  I know Dan P. has a disdain for that sort of testing and uses the live or let die approach.

While its commendable that resistant lines are being used in Australia, where is the real world pressure on that end to ensure further selection of these important traits?  they have nothing to select for unless hygienic testing is being used. That's not much different then the hocus pocus queens we see advertised every month where a breeder Hygienic, VSH or Russian is grafted and mated with whatever and sold as a resistant line.

Its funny I just checked Dec ABJ ads and I don't see Brown advertising any resistant traits. You would think that would be an important keyword these days in advertising queen genetics.  They are advertised as just plan old "bees".

Bob as you know developing a truly hygienic or resistant line of bees is a long term endeavor, not a one hit wonder kind of activity.