From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 23:34:20 -0600
> Greetings BEE-Ler's !
>
> Allen or any TBH fans,
>
> I'm a little in the dark. I have only learned of TBHs in the last
> several days. Still I'm not sure of all the specs.
>
> Height   ?
> Width   20-24 frames
> Length  30"
> Shape of frame   ?
> Number of stories  1?
>
> What makes these hives so great?

Funny.

I just hired a guy today (labour) to do a few end of the season jobs.

Turns out he was making TB hives in Africa on some mission (he
volunteered this while we were chatting) without any knowledge of bees!

Well, knock me down!

Anyhow, it takes no formal woodwork training and the bees do fine.

Instead of spending a hundred bucks or so at your favourite bee
supplier for fancy precision woodenware, you just use *anything*.

Frames are moveable, so they are legal.  Maybe you get a little less
honey, but for a hobby, big deal!

...Much less expense and little less honey.

Dimensions are not critical.  I gathered that the frames should be
about 20 inches or so, unless you have longer lumber ;)  The catenary
idea makes sense, but anything more or less half round will do.

Wintering might be a little harder up here in the Great White North.
But it should be possible.

BTW, I know nothing about this, so, maybe the others will tune this
up a bit...

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>