From:
Gauthier Buddy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:40:15 -0500
Earlier I asked if anyone knew if my insurance policy would cover my
losses in the hurricane. I have coverage on structures on my property.
They regarded them as cages and said that they would pay for them. They
would not pay for the bees themselves, but they asked for an estimate of
how much honey I thought I loss. I estimated very conservatively as 200
lbs and they paid me for the honey. I don't have the estimate in front
of me, but I figured they gave me $125 per hive(for the wood) and $60
for the honey per hive. Of course, I realize I just lost 4 hives, but
this is significant for me. I guess in comparison to others in the area,
this was minor. No one came out to look at the damage, so I figure they
looked at the damage via satellite. It wasn't worth the gasoline to come
out to my remote area.
Just wanted to share,
Buddy Gauthier
Thibodaux, LA   60 miles WSW of New Orleans

Buddy wrote:
My property is insured through AllState and I'm still waiting for the
adjuster to visit. In the meantime, I took pictures of the hives as I
found them. I did not take pictures of the inner parts of the hives. One
hive was even stacked unevenly like a small child would stack blocks
unevenly. I'm still not sure how the wind did that. None of them flipped
or toppled.