Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 2009 17:58:21 EDT
I also don't know where the idea of  recent, widespread use of DDT in  the
U.S. came from - its been banned for three decades as others pointed  out.
The bit of good news, whereas almost all of our bee analyses  from the
60-90s showed residues of DDT, DDE, DDT and other chlorinated  pesticides; the
most recent analyses that we've gotten back show a much reduced,  if not
complete absence, of many of the most persistent  chlorinated chemicals - so it
looks like we're finally getting some these  out of the bee boxes/frames.
That's good news.

Frankly, I'm not so sure that I'd want to trade these older, more
persistent, and highly toxic chemicals for some of the newer insecticides.
Although the verdict may still be argued, many of the newer chemicals appear to  be
less toxic, less persistent than the older chemicals.  So, if you  advocate
banning these, keep in mind what the alternatives might be.

Jerry