From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 15:43:15 -0500
On 20 Jan 97 at 18:57, Stan Sandler wrote: Re: Two Queen Colony

> I just got a price list from F.W.Jones for queens and packages from New
> Zealand, Australia, and Hawaii (the only places we can import from because
> we are varroa and tracheal mite free).  Queens were $20 to $25 and it was
> $180 for a 2 kilogram packages of bees with two queens.  Sheesh.  The queens
> especially have gone up.

Just another reason for changing our approach. Rather than making early
splits, why not do as we do. Plan this year for next.
        Make splits late in the year ready for next years crop, using local
cheaper queens.The problems with early splitting are endless, whereas a later
split will still make it through the winter with a little help, and come
out bigger in the spring!

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive Unit 2, Orillia,
Ontario, Canada. L3V 6H1
David Eyre, Owner. Phone/Fax 705 326 7171
Agents for E.H.Thorne & B.J.Sherriff UK
http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks