From:
"Lipscomb, Al" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 15:37:52 -0500
> > 2. The advantage of synthetics is that, by definition, they
> are always
> > exactly identical so therefore how they react to their
> environment can
> > always be exactly predicted.  (snip)
> > The only reason for preference for synthetics is that their
> behavior (in
> > fibers, medicine, "rubber", etc) can be exactly predicated
> and controlled.
>
> There is one more variable that has been left out of this
> list which to some
> degree invalidates the overall statement.  Each individual
> person responds a
> little differently to these synthetic medications.

And they respond a little differently to the "naturals" as well. That puts
two sets
of variables into the equation for the good doctor to worry about. As
"folk" remedies have become more popular the cases of drug interaction and
allergic
reactions are showing up in the "home brew" crowd as well. So the advantage
is to the
synthetic in this case.

Naturals have many advantages, this is just not one of them. One of the
biggest advantages
of naturals is the availability of some wonderfully complex chemicals at a
very low
price.

For example at least one type of Arthritis is believed to be caused by
defective "B" cells.
A proposed remedy is to kill off the bodies existing B cells and stop the
damage (The body will produce more B cells that do not carry the defect).
What if it turns
out the bee venom does just this? Would we need to spend the money to create
a synthetic?
What about people who need the treatment but cannot tollerate bee venom?