From:
Douglas Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 1998 08:46:48 -0500
I started 2 new hives this spring in central Texas.  The weather
conspired to prevent the hives from becoming strong and building up any
surplus honey.  In short ... I would describe them as "weak".

A few weeks ago, I noticed evidence of worm infestation and
dissassembled the hives.  Both had a large number of worms on the brood
frames.  The bees appeared to have abandoned the frames that were
infested.  I removed as many worms as I could find.  Took out the frames
that appeared to be damaged and infested and reassembled the hives.
This week I notice that I didn't get all and continue to see damage
being done by the worms.

My question is  .... what shoudl I do?  Will the hives survive?  Should
I put new frames of foundation in now or wait until spring?  Will the
worms die out in the winter?  Should I start the hives over from
scratch? If so, what is the best method of doing this?

Any help would be appreciated.