From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2008 11:33:11 -0600
Hello John & All,

> I am not alone in having this kind of success.

Are you saying if we take some of your genetics and raise queens all our
varroa problems will go away? We can start introducing into the wild?The
varroa tolerant will remain even if open mating is allowed?

I would be willing to test some queens. However I have not got the 4-5
years to wait so would use added varroa presure (similar to Purvis
Brothers method) to test.

If you look back at my posts from the nineties I have said over and over
that most survivor colonies crash when varroa pressure is added. Even
after 20 years there is quite a bit about why one hive handles varroa and
another doesn't we do not understand. Also why varroa tolerance seems to
fade away in future generations unless you keep updating varroa tolerant
breeding material.

I am glad you are able to keep bees on a small commercial level without
treatments! Big improvement over 20 years ago but still not what Dr.
Shiminuki (retired head of Beltsville and editor of new ABC XYZ) felt we
would see in 20 years

Are you using survivor queens from your queen line or have you brought in
Russian/VSH/ Purvis brothers, Marla Spivak or other varroa tolerant
genetics to improve varroa control?

The Russian bee varroa tolerance has been somewhat of a mystery to
researchers. Many say Purvis Brothers success has been because of bring in
varroa tolerant stock into his lines. I say his success has been through
the use of adding varroa pressure, trying to kill off at least fifty
percent a year of possible breeder queens and strict culling. His is the
only program in the world I know of using added varroa pressure.

Big difference between a race car at idle and at speeds of over 200 MPH.

You may well have the genetics I am looking for if you have got a line
which will go 4-5 years untreated. Please explain further. Actually in
today's beekeeping the genetic's which you seem to have would work. Most
commercial beekeepers requeen at least every two years so saving the cost
of treatment and labor spikes interest.

bob

--
believed to be clean.