From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 22:33:33 +0000
Reading the different mails* that have been posted over the recent past,
a thought relating to a mail that I posted several months ago came to
mind.
The mail suggested that comments on the preoccupation's of beekeepers
and the allied industries could be formulated into a list.
A list that may then be used to synthesize an overall picture of
present/possible and potential activity direction.
The underlying reason being that forewarned may result in increased
preparedness!

The result was : 1 reply.

The following possibilities may have resulted in the lack of replies:
For the group, the mail was irrelevant, list impossible to formulate,
individuals not caring to look with a little effort into the future,
interesting but some other individual would respond.

Connecting the above to mails* on V.d. and what techniques to use and
where new ones will arrive from, AFB and again what is happening in the
field and what possibilities are for the future, plus the very recent
topic suggesting possible large scale "gene mapping" via. nucleotide
investigation highlight for me that there is still the great need for an
overall perspective to be created.
This being available to all (maybe in different formats for different
levels of need).

Taking the "genome" project - if and when it arrives, the results and
information gained will serve to what ends?
Observing discussions and disputes over that material gained in the
investigation of the human equivalent - which was AFAIK, done with the
aim of supplying freely available information suggests that benefit will
be limited to those who can make cash.
Sequences and any changes made will be copyrighted, the outcome sold
with royalties, law suites undertaken due to open air (accidental
crossings) fertilization with non authorised material etc. etc.

If, as so many times in the past, we wait and only react when pressured
to do so is a poor reflection on what we could do - with pre thought!

It was obvious what was going to happen when treating V.d. with
"chemicals" - and even so, the response was for country after country to
follow practically the same procedure.
Antibiotic resistance - Many antibiotics are already effectively lost
and as each one drops of the list, a frantic search for the next variant
is put in place.
Get together, not only realise the end result, but plan ahead - well
ahead! Put in place a well defined strategy, ensuring as many differing
conditions are covered as possible.

These developed and developing strategies as suggested would need to be
easily obtained by a user population. - a centralised source, with
national contacts.
At the moment, any search into what ever problem inflicting itself on
our bees or allied industry very quickly runs into an academic brick
wall, often associated with industrial "secrets" and "no right to know".
The knowledge is there for who?

A group like Bee-L performs a great service to beekeepers but is
hampered by rumour, mistruths, correct facts and reasonable journalism -
all mixed with the possibility to pick and choose. It, to my way of
thinking often reflects the lack of strategic direction being suffered.

The problems for bees and beekeeping are piling up at a far rate,  with
suggestions that they will continue to do so in the increasingly man
altered environment (the one we are supposed to be removing problems
from!)
Therefore, as an industry deemed by some as an organised affair, let's
start showing intelligent planning.

Candidates for future problems in our industry?

The Bionic bee, bees being considered as pests in some quarters of the
agricultural sector, future development of pesticide marketing and
authorisation, independent research/ researchers, honey adulteration/
labeling........

Peter