From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2018 07:22:47 -0400
a Richard Cryberg snip followed by > my comments..
You do not see the problems as you are a brand new bee keeper who has never seen the results of poor inspections and apparently have not bothered to read articles about the results of poor inspections.

>Finally a voice of experience and not youthful speculation and conjecture. If you are a set down beekeeper and you have any degree of migratory movement of bees into you state then any attempt to reduce or eliminate bee inspection is not in your best interest.  In some places (North Dakota comes to mind) the crowding of bee keeper is so great the only resolution will likely be either location registration and stricter laws moving bees into and out of the state or a killin' (as us hillbillies like to say). We had an attempt here (Texas) to alter the law (according to 'authorities' AFB was no longer a problem) and the law was therefore out of date < I guess for some swept under the rug means the dirt no longer exist?  Funny how all this youngins' come to beekeeping knowing everything but none with the curiosity or decency to ask the old hands what problems these changes might encourage. The attempt to change the law here essentially got those with less than a dozen hives off the hook, made inspection and registration for those in the middle mandatory (you were suppose to report every bug or pathogen you saw in the hive to the state bee inspector) and gave all the migratory folks a free ride to come and go without inspection (many of whom only show up here between the season in the north and almonds in California). None of these migratory folks pay much taxes here (ag folks get a free ride) and constantly complain about the fee for inspection but mainly they do not like the inconvenience of spending one day with the inspector.  The head of the entomology department informs me that these fees pay for travel back and forth from inspection but the general tax payers funds the majority of this program < should he that pays the bill call the shots???  My analysis is that the next wave of problems will come from either the folks at either end of the spectrum... that is either from movement of disease or pathogens into the state or lack of knowledge of these disease itself.  Since there is no apiary location laws on the books once a problem develops no one will have the minimum essential information to know who to contact. And from there the wildfire spreads!

for those that think there are no good reasons for rules or legislation then you just need to live a bit longer till you rediscover the problems they were suppose to resolve. a lack of historical perspective is understandable but naive and simplistic thinking is just that.

Gene in Central Texas....