From:
Ted Wout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 12:18:01 EST
Aaron Morris wrote:
>The statement was that bees will not rebuild comb over the plastic
>reinforcement sheet used in Duraguilt once it has been scraped clean.
>I can attest to this and it's the main reason why I avoid using it.

I have had the same experience with duragilt and avoid it for this reason.

>It was also stated that bees WILL redraw comb that has been scraped
>off Permadent and Pierco frames because the hex pattern is still left
>in the plastic after the comb is scraped off.  Mason's request was
>for personal testimony to verify this claim.  I have no personal
>experience with Permadent or Pierco, but am planning to give Permadent
>a try this season.

I use Permadent not Pierco one piece frames.  When extracting honey,
every once in a while there is a small patch of brood(normally drone)
in one of the frames of capped honey.  I usually just scrape this brood
out with a hive tool and then extract.  The next year the bees have
rebuilt that comb.  I don't know if they'd repair a whole frame but
they seem able or desire to repair small patches that have been scraped clean.

Ted Wout, 3rd year beekeeper, 8 hives, adding 4 this spring
Red Oak, TX