From:
"(Andy Anderson)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 06:16:44 -0400
      October 1 is the day that the beekeeping year begins
for me. For many years I have gone it into the bee yards
to weigh my hives. I don't trust my "hefting" of hives
to determine how much they weigh going into winter.
With my scale, I have a reference to determine if help
is needed and enough time before serious winter to
make necessary adjustments..
   Years ago I established minimum weight that insured that
a hive would survive the winter without starving and if
a hive exceeds my minimum , I can be pretty well assured
it will be alive , strong and healthy in the spring.
   I have found that if a hive consisting of two deep boxes
weight 100  pounds or a hive consisting of one deep
box with a medium food chamber weighs 95 pounds the
survival rate is near 100%
   I never leave extra supers on a hive. To me that is a
waste and complicates manipulations in the spring. I do
believe that a beekeeper should set aside one super of
honey for every three hives he has..
To methis is good
spring insurance. If feed is needed in the spring, I favor
adding frames of honey near the cluster rather than
using feeders.
   If you have never considered weighting your hive to
make your  winter preparations. you might consider it

[log in to unmask] (Andy Anderson0