From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2024 19:31:32 -0400
Once again, one need read no further than the title of the paper to plainly see that there are many different ways to describe what varroa does to bees, and that any complete answer is likely to be "book length", given the large number of qualifications and edge conditions to mention.

> Life-history STAGE determines the diet of ectoparasitic mites on their honey bee hosts.
> https://rdcu.be/dBD6v

Ramsey deserves credit for noticing what others did not for decades.  Yes, the process of science inherently implies that the specifics of what he noticed is subject to revision, refinement, and qualification under specific conditions x, y, and z.

But there is no reason to diss the man whose shoulders one is standing upon to do the very work that refines and further clarifies what he noticed.

Years ago, I was asked to present a minor award in physics to a very elderly and very deserving recipient.  Most everything he had been known for had been not just tweaked, but totally trashed by later work.  He wasn't wrong, his tools just weren't as sharp as they later became.

I said “Tonight, we are sitting beside one of the giants upon whose shoulders we stand to be able to see further.”
There wasn't a dry eye in the house.