From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2015 16:01:12 -0500
The Washington State Honey Bee Work Group of witch I am a member are endeavoring to establish metrics that will allow for a rational discussion of noxious weed control and the effects that it has on honey bee forage. We were tasked with making recommendations to the WA legislature that would improve conditions for beekeepers in the state. Those with trouble sleeping may get relief by reading our report.

http://agr.wa.gov/FP/Pubs/docs/103-435HoneyBeeWkGroupReport121214.pdf

I invite comments from this august group. What would be the parameters of a good cost/benefit analysis on the benefits of noxious weed control versus lost forage to managed and native bees be? I know that Australia has done some work along these lines concentrating on biocontrols.

http://www.invasive.org/proceedings/pdfs/12_67-74.pdf

As we all know the loss of forage due to crop conversion, weed control, modern agricultural methods, and development are having a significant adverse effect on the availability of productive locations. As we await the Presidents Task Force Report  what say you all.?

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA