From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2010 08:39:05 -0400
Randy writes:

Pete, I feel that the word "stress" is often anthropomorphically projected
upon bees, and often overused. The paper that we are referring to involved
migratory beekeeping in Greece, a country which is far too small for long
hauls to which you are now referring.

I am not sure if stress=anthropomorphism. All organisms can be stressed by environmental factors, such as heat, cold, etc. Often this has a metabolic cost which in turn can affect the immune system. Presumably, this is one of the reasons that most organisms require a rest period, to counteract the effects of stress and rebuild their energy reserves.

Anyway, the link between migratory beekeeping and increased colony loss is just one of many proposed links. I know that moving bees from bad to good environmental conditions has been done for centuries, and obviously there is a net gain. The issue has more to do with what is the downside of moving colonies, especially into high densities where they are apt to encounter pathogens that they did not previously have; high density encourages rapid exchange of pathogens.

Quarantines are one of the oldest and most effective ways of restricting the spread of disease, and reflect the knowledge that the movement of individuals as well as close congregation of large numbers enhances the spread of disease. The more individuals that harbor a particular disease, the more likely it is to develop into more virulent strains.

But back to the study. The reason I thought it was interesting was it recapitulates the experience in other countries. First, there are unexplained symptoms. Second, many different hypotheses are offered. Third, data is collected to support or dismiss these. In this pilot study, the authors quickly homed in on the possibility that a novel combination of pathogens may be at the center of these unusual symptoms.

They wrote:

> During June and July of 2009, sudden deaths, tremulous movements and population declines of adult honey bees were reported by the beekeepers in the region of Peloponnesus (Mt. Mainalo, altitude: 1200 m), Greece. A preliminary study was instigated to investigate these unexplained phenomena, which had not occurred previously in this region. Several potential stress factors, such as poor nutrition, drought, and migratory apiculture have all been linked to a weakening of the honey bee immune system, making colonies more susceptible to diseases. A key commonality between all the apiaries suffering symptoms is that all belonged to migratory beekeepers. Long distance mass migration is one of the suspected risk factors for a disorder that has led to large-scale colony losses The USA (Oldroyd, 2007).

This is a reference to Ben Oldroyd's statement:

> Many crops cause nutritional stress to the bees, or the transport or staging of colonies in holding yards may cause stress. Anecdotal evidence suggests that CCD is more common in businesses in which bees are trucked large distances and rented for pollination.

However, this factor did not play a prominent part in their conclusion:

> The presence of multiple pathogens and pesticides made it difficult to associate a single specific cause to the depopulation phenomena observed in Greece, although we believe that viruses and N. ceranae synergistically played the most important role. A follow up in-depth survey across all Greek regions is required to provide context to these preliminary findings.

These leaves them in the same boat as the rest of us: looking for more money to conduct more studies. I agree, however, that migratory beekeeping is not likely an issue in and of itself, but rather the extent to which bees are moved around, the effect that this has on moving and combining pathogens, etc.

I don't propose quarantines or suggest that stationary beekeeping is inherently healthier or safer. The moving of bees to multiple sources of income is a necessity for many beekeepers, and if there is a cost it has to be offset by the gains accrued. Finally, my interest in posting the paper was to *discuss* rather than *defend* its conclusions or methodology.

PLB