From:
"Paul C. Cheng" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 1994 20:43:01 -0500
> We will be digging up some old research that was sponsored by the Alberta
> Beekeepers and The Canadian Honey Council shortly and trying to get it out
> to the doctors and the public again.  Very few doctors (including
> allergists) apparently know how simple it usually is to cure allergy
> to bee stings.  There is too much to know these days!

Hi,

I would be interested to know any simple cures for beesting allergies.
From my still limited knowledge and experience, desensitization is an
effective way of getting IgG levels up (instead of IgE's), but doesn't it
take quite a while?

Correct me if I am wrong, but allergies are due to an IgE antibody response
to antigens in the venom such as phospholipases, melittin, and
hyaluronidases.  Hypersensitivity may result in anaphylaxis (urticaria,
bronchospasma, hypotension, death).  Treatment is an IM injection of
epinephrine (adrenaline for Brits), and antihistamine administration.

Since I myself are sensitive to beestings, I would really like to know
quick and simple cures.

Regards,
Paul
--
Paul C. Cheng ([log in to unmask]), Second-Year MD/PhD Student
Northwestern University Medical School | Ward Box 213, 303 E. Chicago Ave.