From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 21:08:43 -0500
Peter said:
>I am using ApiLife Var this year for the first time. I can't find much in
>the archives from anyone who has used it.

I used and tested aplife var for around four years. I think the information
from Canada Allen posted was similar to my findings. poor results in cold
weather.

This is from Bob in 2004:

I believe Api Life var gives good control of varroa as long as you follow
the label instructions. I used Api Life var on problem Italians last year
and plan to use again this year.

I used in August in Missouri on hives with a low to average varroa load. I
found did not work so well when used in colder weather and when varroa loads
were high. I also found that when the tablets were cut so all four sections
were the same ( box cutter) the product worked a bit better. Simply lifting
the lid and tossing the whole tablet over the brood nest ( as some did)
killed brood.  Api life var (especially in hot weather) needs to be placed
outside the perimeter of the brood nest (as per label for clarification of
my comments from the 2004 post) I also found that placing the apilife var
tablets in a wire cage was not necessary ( as proposed at the time by the
U. of Ga.) and actually diminished efficacy.

Hope the above helps Peter and will be glad to try to answer any other
concerns you might have.

bob