From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2011 07:30:59 -0700
I was asked off List:

>Randy, what is your take on this whole Monsanto buys Beeologics thing? Will
that help them or hurt them in the eyes of the beekeeping community?

Monsanto is obviously the bete noir of many who justifiably criticize the
American agricultural model.  Being purchased by Monsanto obviously will
give Beeologics a black eye to many, simply due to guilt by association.
 I've asked the Beeologics principals about this, and they tell me that they
have written in assurances that they will be able to proceed further in the
interest of beekeepers.  I am quite sure that such interest is genuine, as I
have gotten to know them fairly well.

Up to this point, Beeologics has been strapped for funds, so the purchase
will allow them to move forward to bring an effective product to market
(provided that it proves out).  It will also allow them to pursue RNAi
solutions against nosema and varroa.

>What about statements like "The RemebeeŽ product line is now proving to be
a viable solution to Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD)" -- do you agree with
that?

Beeologics is genuinely excited about the potential of their products, and I
must forgive them for writing such advertising copy.

The "viable solution to CCD" claim is a stretch--as despite Remebee
treatment, most of the colonies in the 2009-10 trial still collapsed,
although the Remebee-treated group did better.  More reasonable, *at this
time*, would be a generic claim for reducing colony losses and increased
honey production, due to Remebee's effect of allowing a colony to maintain a
substantially larger forager force while under pressure from viruses.

There is some evidence from last year's large-scale trials that Remebee was
beneficial in some commercial operations.  After this coming winter's major
trial, we will know much more...

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
www.ScientificBeekeeping.com