From:
Tim Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:12:27 EST
I have been at this hobby for about 5 years and initially ordered material
from a few different suppliers to try them out. About half of my medium
supers ( I run all mediums including 3 for the brood chamber) are the
traditional box joint and half are the rabbet joint from Brushy mountain.
Witout a doubt in my mind the rabbet joined supers are holding up much
better. The box joint corners are all peeling paint and the rabbet joined are
not. Once the paint started to peel and all that end grain exposed on the box
joints the peeling really speeded up. I believe in the years to come the
rabbet joint supers will outlast the box joints by several years. And by the
way, although the tree medium brood chambers are about equal in volume to two
deeps I think I'll be overwintering in 4 mediums from now on - this warm
winter in new England has seen the usuall winter stores go too quickly.

             Timsul