From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2010 22:15:56 -0600
??
> Most studies quantifying mean hybrid fitness in known generations have
> stopped at the F1, with a few extending to the and one study showing that
> outbreeding depression was not apparent until the F3.

I think the above sums up the discussion as applies to *bees*. Not apparent
until the F3.

Hybrid vigor is reliable when two unrelated lines of bees are crossed (with
instrumental insemination personal experience and what research has shown).

Hybrid vigor from my experience only happens with the F1. I believe
all queen breeders and bee breeding books say such. The word *outbreeding
depression* I personally have never heard used in queen breeding circles.
However queen breeding is not my area of beekeeping expertise.

Hybrid vigor is real and disappears with the F3 from my experience.

Quote:
"However,enthusiasm for this management method is tempered by concerns about
OUT BREEDING DEPRESSION"

I do not think the above from the post applies to bees as those which make
crosses for hybrid vigor do so for the life of said queen and nothing more.
I saw quit a bit of hybrid vigor with Aussie and Russian crosses when those
lines came on the scene but after the first arrival hybrid vigor is hard to
find by breeding those lines.

Bud Cale produced queens with outstanding hybrid vigor years ago by keeping
two different lines pure  thru instrumental insemination inbreeding and then
crossing and selling the queens.

The Midnight & Starline lines would out perform all other queens on the
market and in my opinion worth the extra expense.

After years and in my opinion sloppy maintaining of the original lines and
the resulting crosses lack of hybrid vigor and many quit using the queens (I
did!) and eventually the project was stopped.

bob