From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 07:56:49 -0400
Allen Dick wrote:

> Hallucination?  I think not, and the sooner we all take a look at this
> technology and its implications (not neccessarily on BEE-L), the better.
> That's not to say that anything we say or do will change the course of
> fate.
>
> The genie is out of the bottle.

I vote to keep the BeeL to beekeeping.

The problem with GMO, if not already noticed in various posts on this
list, is that there is a lot of heat and bad science. Plus, it moves
quickly from rational posts to religious fervor with feelings overriding
fact. And the moderators will not help here since GMO can engender some
strong feelings on the part of proponets/opponets.

GMO is a complicated issue that has the potential for tremendous good as
well as possible impact on the ecosystem that may be irreversible. But
most of both have not been shown with any certainty ( different results
from tests of the same thing ) or proven, so we will be indulging in
speculation and belief, rather than science and fact.

The best presentation on GMO I have seen was on PBS Frontline. It was
balanced and its conclusion was as I noted. Lots of good but caution
because there are unknowns. Our problem will be that we will argue the
unknowns.

Keep the list to bees.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine