From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:47:40 -0800
:> A survey by Nebraska agriculture engineers reported in fall 1994 in
> Chemical Application Journal that found that two out of every three
> pesticide applicators were making significant application errors the result
> of inaccurate calibration, incorrect mixing, worn equipment and failure to
> read the product label. According to the article by Larry Reichenberger,
> "The Billion-Dollar Blunder," these mistakes in application were costing
> farmers from $2 to $12 per acre in added chemical expense, potential crop
> damage and threatened weed competition.

I think there is alot more to the story than what is being reported
by these sources. In my 20 years of dealing with the California
agricultural community, I commonly see farmers applying less than
the label rate when they know they will likely be able to get away with
it. Example:  If the Roundup label says to apply a gallon
per acre, farmers will typically try to get by with one or two pints per acre
and save a bunch of money.

Surveys may be biased if all they do is document cases of misuse/overuse.
But I believe alot of farmers would say an overemphasis on misuse/overuse helps
authors and eco-consultants sell their scare articles and books.

Paul Cherubini
Shore Chemical Company
Turlock, Calif.