From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2017 18:46:52 -0400
This topic is one I spend a fair amount of time thinking about, and frankly, it's difficult for me to sort out my role in all of it. As Richard said, "It is really hard to get past the noise."  I think the only thing of value we can add, as informed beekeepers, is to stay clear, with a consistent message that discourages wannabees from buying bees until they gain enough knowledge and have spent some time around bees and other informed beekeepers.

I try to discourage wannabees all the time, but my experience is that folks turn off and don't listen because their personal need to do some good is a far more powerful and the bees are really only a symbolic gesture toward a self-serving end. I get that, and the urge to buy something to fix things is strong, so I try to redirect their efforts into gardening or habitat conservation and even solitary beekeeping.  In public talks, I always mention that just allowing your lawn to grow dandelions helps pollinators. That's my attempt to hopefully give those on the fringe, just looking to boast, a respectable retreat before they impulse buy a package.

But "bee schools" are the biggest challenge of all, and I've taught bee biology to about 300 newbees this year alone.  They keep coming in hoards, and lack of experience doesn't discourage them. It's only a minor consideration compared to their commitment to fight against all the perceived evil out there killing bees when in fact the real killing field ends up being their backyard- but try telling someone that.

I've excused my participation in bee schools because I've convinced myself my topics are more about the science. But it's evident that I'm actually participating in a larger system that unwittingly perpetuates destructive beekeeping. In my area, we need a change in the way we teach beekeeping.   Even so, the alternative to not participate may be even more damaging if the message gets skewed with nonsense.

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire CT