Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2010 11:54:45 -0500
I have always pointed to long confinement as the primary reason for the mess
> you sometimes see in hives that have to go through real winter. This may
> encourage the build-up of Nosema apis, hence the connection.

High ash winter feed with long confinement can cause dysentery. In Maine it
can be honeydew and aster/goldenrod (I have yet to figure out which) or any
fall high ash nectar/honey. They gotta poop so if they have no winter thaw,
they can't fly and eventually have to poop in the hive. From there it is a
quick move (pun intended) to dysentery. You can have zero nosema and have
dysentary, as noted by both Randy and Peter. Along with my experience in my
early beekeeping days.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine