From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:59:23 -0500
Allen Dick wrote:

> Here's my plan: get some queens from NZ or Auz and sneak out some winter
> day and quietly lift the wrap, peel back the pillow and drop a queen on
> the cluster.  Close everything up, and leave.
>
> As far as I can see, the bees are all pretty dopey and won't bother to
> investigate the queen until things warm up.  By then she will be one of
> the gang.

This is a very interesting idea.  This would be even easier for those of us
whose winters don't require wrapping.  The two queens may even co-exist since
both are mated and laying (by late winter anyhow).  Would you cool down the
queen before dropping her into the cluster so that she won't be the only
lively bee around?

Let us know how it works out next spring.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA
42.18 N;  83.45 W