From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:44:05 -0500
Hello Keith & All,

>"I think Joe Traynor is on the right track with one hive per acre at 8-10
frame colonies."

Sounds good on paper.

 You want to count frames in every one of 10,000 hives? How about your
future two million?

Field run (with added feeding of both pollen patties & syrup plus culling/
combining) has always been good enough.

If Joe wants to count frames in every hive he places by all means go ahead.
The count can be used to gouge growers or beat down the price paid to
beekeepers.

I believe last year over fifty percent of hives placed in almonds were field
run with no grading.

if Joe wants to grade his 2 % and try for a higher fee then go ahead but the
majority  like field run bees.

Most of us can get a picture of pollination capabilities of a hive simply by
lifting the lid instead of pulling every frame.

Not very many almond growers read this list so I can say:

The highest pollination fee I can think of comes from crops which produce no
nectar and the bees need fed while pollinating. The beekeeper charges a high
price because the pollination comes at the same time many cases the
beekeeper could be making a honey crop.

Makes sense and easily understood by the grower.

The bees dwindle on those crops so most beekeepers charge around a $20 fee
to exchange out weak hives.

The grower understands the issue so pays a higher fee and the exchange fee.

Almonds?????

Almond fees in 2007 will be three times the above and come at a time when no
other pollination is going on. Beekeepers typically pollinate other crops
after almonds for $10-30 in the same area ?????.

When the above subject comes up at Midwestern beekeeping meetings we are
always amazed at the prices California beekeeper / brokers are able to get
from almond growers.

I hope next year the beekeepers in my article .

1. get paid for the semi's they send as Ted Kretchman has never been paid.

2. Clear a higher fee than around $30 a hive which two beekeepers in my
article cleared after they were promised $150

3. At least make expenses which Jerry Meddleson or Tim Tucker did not.

Honesty, integrity & reputation may fit Keith but certainly does not fit
*all*
Californians dealing with Midwestern Beekeepers!

Many beekeepers which got burned this year are not going back but many
newbees will take their place which will give me fuel for future articles
about chasing the gold in California almond pollination!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison