From:
Jon Molesa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2010 12:54:36 -0500
I'm mostly a lurker.  I don't follow every thread on here.  I haven't
the time.  But certain ones that catch my interest I'll follow along.
I've posted a couple of times with amateurish questions compared to the
typical discussions here.

I value the information that is shared here and try to keep up on the
research and papers.

It does sometimes appear rough or heated, and for that reason I stay out
of the cross fire and observe.  So far though I've not noticed anyone
being out right ugly.  I like the way discussions are handled and
differences of opinions are seen as such.

It's a very professionally run list, and I've gleaned priceless
information from here already.

Where I'm from, North Carolina, we have a local club of about 100 ppl.
Give or take given the year.  There's a wealth of information there too
but there's quite a few old timers retiring lately.  The most
frequently taught lesson is that of treatments.  Mostly, it's a by the
book application, time of year, dose, and method.  There isn't a lot
being taught in the way of testing if the treatments are even needed.
This seems to be a hot topic throughout beekeeping.  Everyone from
hobbyist to commercial beeks have an opinion and a method of doing it.
Most people feel very strongly about their position too.

After 4 years I'm still mostly forming my management plan and don't ever
expect it to be "complete".  I expect to tweak it from year to year
depending on what works.  At this point I only have 13 hives.  I'm
expecting to loose at least 2 of them this winter.  I don't depend on my
bees for an income at this point.  I'd like to at least supplement my
current income with some from the bees.  Point is, I can afford to try a
few things.  The only loss will be what I currently have invested in
them.  Most of the colonies were from swarms and/or splits.  So most of
my investment is in the equipment, gear, and time.

For me, personally, I find the honeybee to be an endless source of
fascination.  There's always something new to learn.  Not just about how
to work with them, but something about them as individual insects and as
a colony.  Which is good for someone that tends to bore easily.

I'm fascinated by the research people are doing. Even though CCD is a
difficult subject, it has afforded the bee researchers opportunities that I
bet didn't exist prior to CCD.

I love hearing from folks on here with years of experience.  I like to
hear what worked and didn't work for them.  I sometime yearn for a bit
more of personal experience stories.

There are days that too much is happening on here to follow.  I have to
just resolve myself to the fact that I'm going to miss some discussion.
I follow a lot of mailing lists.  But BEE-L is the one I keep my most
attentive eye on day after day.

Thanks to the admins for setting it up, running it, keeping the spam
out, and providing this valuable service.  Thanks to all the beekeepers
who are willing to share their experiences, opinions, and hard won
knowledge.  Thanks to all researchers who are providing insight into
this tiny insects world.

I love it here even though normally I have little to contribute.  Those
that do, make it interesting.

--
Jon Molesa
http://www.beekeeping.cc