From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 02:38:05 +0100
Expanding on Jim's comments:
"I would also suggest that the focus of any such co-op would
...... could use on their label, and
thereby leverage the national advertising done by the "co-op"

The creation of a coop in not the only way of grouping production.
I, at the present time live in  "Parc Naturel de la Brenne" France.
It is an area of diverse environments, esp. wet land and holds excellent natural floral resources.

With the Parc authorities, I with several other beekeepers instigated a project that resulted in the
production of a honey that was produced within the Parc, collected during a particular time frame
and then given a prestigious label bearing the National Parc logo (after 2 years preparation).
This honey sold for on average £8.00/kg (10 Euros) - and was always in short supply.
The latter was the restricting problem - due to restraints of production area, expansion was very
limited.

But evenso, it showed what could be done with a few like minded individuals. The Parc authorities
were willing, there to supply marketing, and generate legally binding prestigious labels. We
supplied consistent quality, backed by independently tested analysis reports. The income generated
from the few tonnes boosted income.
Seeing as it was impossible to increase production - we instigated a network with restaurants within
the park to buy the honey, use it traditional foods that were served to visitors to the region. They
even created new recipes.
We got the parc to design road signs to place outside our properties - again with the Parc logo well
in evidence.

There is now a project in view to send our honey to other Parcs in France - in return, we take
theirs. This will allow an expansion in the types available for sale. A national network in the
making. Those outside the Parc areas are spending their time bemoaning unfair treatment and
favoritism. I disagree, it was the use of a "tool" that was present for us to pick up and exploit.

Now what interests me (and I have already mentioned this in earlier mails) - how does a producer
move from something like this highly successful venture selling a material that is distinct in
character when the bulk of the production is a honey such as Canola, and the quantities involved are
several tens of tonnes? This does not lend it self to large scale locally branded sales. Especially
if the local population base is small. I do not expect somebody to supply the answer for me, after
which I go and cash in - but I would dearly talk to any person about possibilities - even if it was
considered a no go situation at the end. Investigation opens up avenues that were not viewed as
existing previously.
Hence Co-ops.
But they have the nasty habit of forgetting whom they are working for, or are unable to work
efficiently for their members. Beekeepers also tend to join a co-op. as an easy option to get rid of
production.
Others presented with this situation -  turn to the Broker - and relieves himself of the problem.
Resulting in  beekeepers being often their own best enemy.
This is not a blanket criticism or condemnation, just that for some, I am sure they could do better
than just opting for the easy way out.
I do think that several individuals getting together, then linking up with others elsewhere
(wherever) can do themselves a great service in the sales/ marketing department.

What is an advantage to the beekeeper is that he is starting out with a relatively low priced
material, one that should be converted into a reasonably priced finished product. Due to remaining
at the production end (through the "love shown to the bees"), he misses out on the harvest made by
the middle organisations.
I am not saying that all beekeepers should / can abandon the bees totally, but where possible or
wished for should get organised. This instead of remaining totally independent. They would then
capture some of the lost cash.
All simplistically put - but where there is a mind, there is a way!
Regards,
Peter

PS: as ever "He" should be read as either "He" or "She" - as appropriate!