From:
Curtis Crowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 05:32:05 +0000
An earlier post to this list mentioned a fee for registration under the new
FDA Bioterrorism regulations, and was justifiably confused by the question of
whether registration is required for beekeepers.

1: FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT: Registration is FREE. The site that suggests a
fee of $195 (higher for non-U.S. firms) is a SCAM. Isn't free enterprise a
great thing!

2:  I examined the official website, and it is not readily clear as to
whether registration is required for most small scale beekeepers. I did post
a query to them, and they basically re-directed me to their website.

 However, there is NO COST to register, and except for keeping on file the
additional ID, password, registration number, and related documentation, it
would seem prudent to register anyway.  If you sell more to resellers than
directly to consumers, or if you process (extract) and bottle in a facility
that is not a private residence, you would move into the "must register"
category. If however, you are producing on an actual FARM, which is given
explicit exemption in the regulations, you need not register at all. I
extract at home, have hives on several real farms (and non-farms) and
registered anyway.

I did note that honey is not clearly listed as a food category (animal
extract? - I refused to classify it as such, even though under IRS categories
apiary-derived income comes under the "livestock" category).  So having used
the "other food" category, and offered no where else on the online form to

This is my own interpretation of the regulations, which could be clearer. I
would reccommend that if you miss the dealine register anyway.  When the
Spring flows start you don't want to be dealing with this stuff. Plus, it may
give you some marketing value to say that your bees are joining the fight
against Osama Bin Laden.

C. Crowell
Hightstown, NJ