From:
Kim Flottum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2015 15:02:02 +0000
Master beekeeper...this is an interesting topic because there are so many definitions...EAS (the Eastern Apicultural Society) has a definition, and you can find it on their web page. University of Georgia has one as do several universities. One ongoing issue with many programs is that they are one test and done. You take an exam, or in the case of EAS, many exams, prove you are capable of understanding and completing the tasks required, and you are a Master Beekeeper. That is absolutely the case. No argument. And many are like that. One oft heard comment on this is that, what happens when the world changes? The oft heard answer is that those who are involved enough to become Master Beekeepers in the first place are the same people who keep up with the world, and remain Master Beekeepers. But those like Georgia's have ongoing exams...you take one, then another, then another of both new information, and increasing difficulty. And then you have to do it again in some number of years to confirm that you are indeed keeping up with the times. The exams in the UK are similar. There are many and they become increasingly difficult. I am not a Master Beekeeper by any stretch of the imagination, but long ago I helped craft some of the EAS program. But the question here is what is...and because of the different approaches, what is a MB remains unclear in some respects. But, in my opinion, anybody willing to go through the process deserves some special recognition...

Kim Flottum
Editor, Bee Culture Magazine
623 W Liberty St., Medina OH 44256
330.725.6677 ext 3214