From:
Howard McGinnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2007 08:21:24 -1000
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 07:12:30 -0500, Yoon Sik Kim wrote:

>>Good Morning and a Happy Thanksgiving to all.
>>
>>Why is it that Ohau has now found varroa mites in 2007 when in fact they
>>have been devastating honey bees across America since 1987?  How have the

It's my belief that varroa has been on Oahu for at least 2 years, maybe 3. It's also my belief that they may have entered in the Ewa/Kapolei area where the
oil tankers berth (although I believe most of them moor offshore and transfer crude via a pipeline). I base this on the level of destruction I see/hear with
Kapolei being maybe the hardest hit with damage radiating out from that area.

Although the Big Island queen rearing hives are inspected every six months, Oahu has not had any inspections since 2001 (hearsay - I've only been at this
since 2004). Last year I attempted to put a proposal together to place bait hives around the ports of entry, not for varroa, but for AHB. Because our Coop is
"for profit" and the grant monies were for non-profit or recognized research organization, I never submitted it (me bad).

Howard on Oahu