Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2013 20:31:56 -0400
Jorg wrote: "Can be done by a person in a wheel chair."

I haven't tried this yet and, fortunately, haven't needed to, however I
have been thinking about it. It would be difficult for a
wheelchair-bound person to reach far and TBHs tend to be long. Also, if
worked from the side, one has to twist the spine to reach both ends of
the bar.  The solution I have in mind in case the need arises is to
have a TBH that can be tilted sideways through getting on for 90
degrees so that the wheelchair-bound person can reach both ends (now
top and bottom) of a bar and draw it forward to remove and examine or
harvest it. The side might need an extra supporting strip on the near
side as, upon replacement of the bar, it would tend to slip down due to
a phenonemon called 'gravity' which appears only after the propolis
seal has been broken.

I haven't thoroughly thought through the mechanism for turning the
hive.  Possibly, if slung on cables, by pulling a lever the far side
could be raised to twist the hive towards the beekeeper.
Alternatively, the hive and stand could be designed with opposing bolts
at each end so it could simply be swivelled with little effort.

Chris