Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 12:21:11 GMT+0200
Hi Micheal/All

In south africa I am told that bees are a protected species in some
or other way.

I heard this from a municipal worker who was aggreed with me that the
practices of gassing bees in our town were bad.

I am not sure how this would work though if it is true.

In much of the world it is difficult to declare bees a protected
species as they are not indigenous. In SA they used to have trout
declared a protected species - Trout from the north.

Nowadays, environmental logic says you can only declare an animal
prtected in it's own environment if you are trying to conserve it as
a natural species.

I would think that legislation to encourage human/bee symbioses would
be better. So instead of making them a protected species - ie making
legislation so people don't hurt them - it would be better to have
legislation to make people support them. But then again the less
government the better. If bees are neccessary, economics will protect
them, not government. If we pay government to protect them, one
detracts through taxes from the real economy and reduces the power of
this force to voluntarily provide funding to bees. (eg if one taxes
almond farmers one is less likely to get donations from them for bee
research.)

Keep well

Garth

Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
Eastern Cape Prov.
South Africa

Time = Honey

After careful consideration, I have decided that if I am ever a V.I.P
the I. may not stand for important.
(rather influential, ignorant, idiotic, intelectual, illadvised etc)