Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:45:30 -0500
> I have put boards on top of a stable garden cart (like the leaves that can be
> added to a dining room table, but with pieces added so that the ends of the
> boards cannot slide off)...

I did the same thing with a garden cart using a sheet of plywood.  Instead of
using pieces of wood the stick over the outside edges of the cart, I just
nailed two cleats on the bottom of the plywood so they would fit into the cart
and keep the wood from sliding anywhere.  As a matter of fact, I just made it
Saturday because I needed to move some heavy honeycomb.  It works great.

Another idea that has been previously mentioned but not yet this time around is
to set the hives up on hive stands so you don't have to do any bending over.
I make mine out of 2x4's with 4 legs made from 4/4's.  It is like the frame of
a table without the top, just wide enough for the bottom board to stretch
across.  It lifts my hives 2 feet up off the ground.  It could be a problem if
your supers are stacked up really high, but where I live, I don't have that
problem because our nectar flow isn't too heavy.  Otherwise you could just
extract more often.

My garden cart is too small for the supers to fit inside of it, so the piece of
wood on top is the only way I can use it.  Another addition to the plywood
cover for the cart might be to put a "lip" around the top edge to keep things
from accidentally sliding off if you go over bumpy ground.  My garden cart is
really a lifesaver some times (at least a backsaver).

Layne Westover
College Station, Texas