From:
Carl Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 16:58:40 -0400
Speaking of learning curves, I am a new bee hobbiest.  I have obtained two
hives, full, with extracted supers set back on top.  The first one seemed to
do just fine, the second seems awful active.  I noticed the drones were
being put out quite regularly.  Then I would see them fly back in..... if
they could get off the grass.  I did notice the workers were trying their
best to damage the drones wings.....   I suspect they have the notion that
they do not have enough stores to keep the drones through the winter and are
trying to be rid of them......  Question, as a hobbiest, and not really
wanting to see all that turmoil, should I feed the hive with a top feeder or
bag feeder to see if that settles them down?  Or should I not worry about
it?   I did notice the first hive, was throwing off a "not completely" ready
bee of some sort.  Fully developed, but still very imature.... do I have
another problem in that hive also?  Thanks......
Carl
Portsmouth, VA.