From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 23:43:09 +0100
Lloyd Spear wrote:
For more than you wanted to know:
http://ag.arizona.edu/OALS/ALN/aln48/moussouris&pierce.html#araar

Yes, quite a good summary of the situation, although I would not describe
the area as forest.  The trees (more like hawthorn bushes in the UK) are
well spaced with just a little scrub growth here and there, although in some
places they do grow barley between the trees when there is some rain (they
had a few hours when we were there last week - the first rain since March.
Many of the trees are in a poor condition as goats climb into them, despite
the thorns, to eat the nuts and new shoots.  Nomads also bring camels that
graze on the trees.

The description of 'Amlu' does not fit in with my experience.  We were told
that the residue from pressing the oil is fed to animals (probably goats) -
the nuts, even when roasted, are incredibly bitter.  'Amlou' is made from
Argan oil, honey and ground almonds and is eaten by dipping bread into it;
delicious, but also very expensive.  They certainly know how to create added
value from the resources available!  Something that we could work on.

Peter Edwards